Published by Final Frontier Games
At A Glance:
- Type: Dice Game
- Release Year: 2016
- Designer: Vojkan Krstevski, Ivana Krstevski, Maja Matovska, Toni Toshevski
- Players: 1 - 6
- Length: Long (>60 Min)
- Difficulty: Medium
- Recommended Ages: 14+
- Genre: Fantasy
- Mechanics: Dice Rolling, Set Collection, Take That / Direct Attack, Worker Placement, Worker Placement With Dice Workers
- Objective: Serve drinks, work in the kitchen, do chores, fulfill secret tasks, and try to keep every guest happy to score points. Score the most points by the end of the game to win.
Cavern Tavern is a worker (dice) placement and resource management board game that is set in a fantasy world. Each player assumes the role of a worker in the tavern. Your job is to serve drinks, work in the kitchen, do chores, and on top of that try to keep every guest happy, including the nasty and greedy barkeep. Here’s a glimpse of the story behind it.
Cavern Tavern uses worker (dice) placement and resource management mechanics.
Every player has 4 dice that represents his available actions. On each turn, a player can assign his dice to 1 of the 21 locations in the tavern. These locations require different amount of dice value and each location holds a different reward. The players can choose to place 1 die on a location, combine them in groups to receive bigger rewards, or discard them to receive benefits that will help them advance in the game. So when the player rolls his 4 dice, he has a lot of options where to put them and how to use them, thus forming a strategy and reducing the luck factor to minimum.
The locations are divided into 6 sections:
- Main area: Players pick up Orders from guests in this section.
- Cellar: The ingredients used to complete orders are located in this section.
- Kitchen: Players can work in this section to receive rewards.
- Chores: Players can complete chores in this section to receive rewards.
- Wizard’s Workshop: Players can seek help for completing their Orders in this section.
- Nasty the Dwarf’s Office: Players can suck up to the boss and badmouth coworkers in this section.
During the game, players need to complete their Orders as soon as possible. For each round an Order is late, the Order’s point value decreases.
Late Orders also affect the player’s reputation with the barkeep, Nasty the Dwarf, which can have dire consequences.
Your experience in managing in the Kitchen and doing Chores in the Tavern will be noted as well which can also influence your game advancement.
Throughout the game the players can pick up Items that are left by the Tavern’s patrons. These Items are located all over the Tavern and the players can benefit through their clever usage.
Before the game starts, the players will receive a Secret Task from Nasty which will grant them bonus Victory Points at the end of the game for meeting his conditions.
But also there are cards that will make the players’ jobs in the Tavern more difficult and they are called Nasty the Dwarf Says cards. By drawing one of these cards the player must fulfill a mandatory task given by Nasty the Dwarf.